Monday, 27 October 2008
This weekend sees the arrival of one of the now famous (or is it infamous?) Burrs weekends.
Highlights apparently include a Friday night bonsai pub quiz- and an artist demo at 10.pm Saturday night -sounds intriguing!!
Those who are going should be warned though, watch out for the 'pumpkin' soup!!!!
Thursday, 23 October 2008
'Clutching at our very souls, the trees now pull us to a time when light loses its importance, a time when trees are transcending into a deep dormancy after a year of racing toward the sun. Life giving foliage is discarded like a mask, revealing all, but showing less; leaving only skeletons and shadows that are but a pale reflection of the past. The days grow shorter and things that normally could not be seen in the light of day are now all too visible.
This is the time when the darker side of bonsai claws its way into our minds, bringing with it a haunting chill that creeps over our now neglected benches and, if we are not careful, into our reality.'
Friday, 10 October 2008
10,000 oaks of 100 years old are not a substitute for one 500 year old oak
Clive Anderson gets the measure of things!
Did you know the official British standard HUG is based on the finger tip to finger tip measurement of an adult, which we take to be about 1.5m. This distance is usually almost the same as your height, and means you can measure a tree even if you forget your tape measure!
I feel sure it would have been slightly more eloquent than the critique -Iain
Saturday, 4 October 2008
As many of the club and a growing number of major figures in the bonsai world are discovering, Doug's tables are excellent and his skill in helping to match tree, pot and table is 1st class.
The link will also be permanent under 'members sites'.
Wednesday, 1 October 2008
On exhibiting trees at last weekends BTA meeting at Sheffield, Lee received best in category gold for his Juniper and Les achieved the same for his Shohin Yew plus also being highly commended for his Fuchsia.
Well done to both.
Whenever the basics are revisited I'm always surprised by some details that are either new or have been forgotten, so see you there for either a refresher or the gaining of new knowledge.
-Choosing the right pot
This months site of the month is actually two dedicated to choosing the right pot for your tree.
Both highlight the issues involved and putting the issue forward now should allow us all plenty of time to select and acquire any new pots required for next years repotting.
Society Diary-We meet at 8pm every 2nd Wednesday of the month at the RAFA club in Oxton (CH43 1UU).
- 13th January
- 10th February
- 14th February Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 28th February Workshop - Gordale
- 9th March - Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 13th March Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 27th March Workshop - Gordale
- 13th April - Demonstration - Andy H
- 17th April Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 24th April Workshop - Gordale
- 8th May Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 11th May- Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 29th May Workshop - Gordale
- 4-5th June WBS Flowering Bonsai Show - Port Sunlight GC
- 8th June - WBS Member trees critique
- 12th June Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 26th June Workshop - Gordale
- 10th July Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 13th July- Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 31st July Workshop - Gordale
- 10th August- WBS Show tree selection
- 13-14th August - Wirral Flower Show
- 20th August - Japan Day, Liverpool
- 27-29th August WBS Annual Show - Gordale
- 14th September- Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 11th September Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 25th September Workshop - Gordale
- 9th October Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 12th October- Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 30th October Workshop - Gordale
- 9th November- Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 13th November Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 26-27th November - Potter Workshop with David Jones (Walsall Studio Ceramics)
- 27th November Workshop - Gordale
- 14th December - Club Party