Hope to see you there!
Thursday, 16 May 2013
Peter starts his talk....
...winging it along the way.
'pay respect to the mighty Maple'
I like this one.......
....but this one I love!
(an Aldi Homage)
(an Aldi Homage)
Bill G had the Honour of opening the meeting mentioned a few events and things members who are involved NEED to do ASAP such as getting Recent images of to Steve Tolley for the Best of British Bonsai show later this year and the Japan Society North West Japan Day being held on Saturday 1st June 2013 between 10:30 am to 5:00 pm at: Liverpool Hope University, Cornerstone Building, Creative Campus, Shaw Street, Liverpool L6 1HP.
Besides W-B-S being invited to this Fantastic Event.Here is a SMALL taster of what to expect Traditional Taiko Drumming,Sushi and Bento,Various Societies,Martial Art Demonstrations,Vintage and Antique Kimono, Display of traditional Japanese Dolls, Kimekomi Doll- making, Try dressing in a Traditional Japanese style, Cosplay Competition, Have your Name Written by Junko Kuramoto- Heady
Embroidery, Display and demonstration by Silkworm Plus lots more
This and Much more of information can be found at
After all the news views and gossip from Bill G. it was Time for our guest Peter to get into action which he did and introduced his topic for the night which was Pot,Table Selection For Display, Making The Most Of Your Trees and starting with the INTRODUCTION. (1) Looking at your Tree, Figuring out what is going on. (2) Pot Selection to Suit The Character Of The Tree (3) A Suitable Table or Stand For The Bonsai. Peter then asked the Questions starting with
1) Have you LOOKED at your tree, Honestly LOOKED at it Properly such as
a) Standing back, looking hard to find the Characteristics of the tree b)Checking Direction is it going up,down, Left or Right
d) Strength / Visual Mass
f) Character Re-fined or Rough
Once you have understood the characteristics of the tree, Peter explained we need to Match the Pots to Accentuate and Amplify it as Pots also have a character,Visual Mass, sometimes Direction, Refinement and Balance is the Key. and like before we have Masculine Pots which has Strong Lines, and Angles. Feminine Pots with Oval and Round Pots being the obvious.
Next Peter spoke and showed some Tables or Stands and explained that as for the Trees and Pots we also need to Consider and look at the Strength,The Space and Masculinity of the Stands or Tables and went through what to look for when looking for a Masculine,Feminine and one with Graceful Curves and one of the biggest Concern for Bonsai Tables is The Height. For most this is the only chance we get to Display is at a Show or Exhibitions where Trees will be viewed Standing up or on a Bench plus the SPACE
TheTable Must be considered as
(a) Too Small and the Image becomes Confined
(b) Too Large and the Image becomes Too Expansive and the Tree appears To Small.
and as Peter pointed out "it's a Very Difficult Balance To Achieve"
It was an Extremeley entertaining session with Peter and the 20 or so members applauded him at the end and we all left well informed on how to achieve a Pot,Table Selection For Display, and Making The Most Of Our Trees
There is a Last Sunday of the Month Workshop at Gordales Garden Centre the Award Winning Garden Centre on the26th of May and if all goes well we hope to see you there so any Questions on Bonsai or youn have a Bonsai tree and seek FREE advice or opinions just pop along to Chester High Road Wirral
Till next time once againTake care look after Each Other and All your Bonsai Trees
Tuesday, 7 May 2013
Hello and welcome to the Wirral Bonsai Society Blog - an ongoing diary & newsletter highlighting the adventures of the society & its members
Society Diary-We meet at 8pm every 2nd Wednesday of the month at the RAFA club in Oxton (CH43 1UU).
- 13th January
- 10th February
- 14th February Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 28th February Workshop - Gordale
- 9th March - Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 13th March Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 27th March Workshop - Gordale
- 13th April - Demonstration - Andy H
- 17th April Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 24th April Workshop - Gordale
- 8th May Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 11th May- Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 29th May Workshop - Gordale
- 4-5th June WBS Flowering Bonsai Show - Port Sunlight GC
- 8th June - WBS Member trees critique
- 12th June Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 26th June Workshop - Gordale
- 10th July Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 13th July- Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 31st July Workshop - Gordale
- 10th August- WBS Show tree selection
- 13-14th August - Wirral Flower Show
- 20th August - Japan Day, Liverpool
- 27-29th August WBS Annual Show - Gordale
- 14th September- Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 11th September Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 25th September Workshop - Gordale
- 9th October Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 12th October- Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 30th October Workshop - Gordale
- 9th November- Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 13th November Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 26-27th November - Potter Workshop with David Jones (Walsall Studio Ceramics)
- 27th November Workshop - Gordale
- 14th December - Club Party
New members are always welcome, just come along to one of our monthly meetings at the RAFA club. You can even 'try us out' for a few months before you decide on joining as an official member. The meetings are informal (there's a bar!) and the club members are (mostly) friendly, approachable and happy to pass on guidance and information to anybody interested in bonsai- whatever your level of experience.