Wednesday, 21 November 2007
Do one thing - plant a tree
‘The early summer floods that devastated many parts of the UK were a real wake up call to how vulnerable we are to the elements’, said Pauline Buchanan Black, director-general of The Tree Council. ‘But trees provide an effective flood break and improve water absorption, offering an excellent defence we shouldn’t ignore’.
‘Planting trees is great fun too - even on a wet blustery day, the thrill of going out and getting your hands dirty, something many of us don’t do often enough, is really rewarding when you stand back and see the benefits of your hard work.
Whilst tree planting is a global issue we should not forget how important trees are to our immediate environment. Recent concerns over the ‘chainsaw massacre’ which has seen many urban trees being cut down but not replaced, means that more than ever, we need to take action to replenish our tree stock and truly benefit from trees.
The Tree Council has been working closely with BBC Breathing Places and the campaign to ‘do one thing’ to improve our environmental health. The Autumnwatch programme, in the run up to National Tree Week, will give encouragement to plant trees and is extremely timely, says Pauline. ‘Trees are of enormous importance to us in so many ways. By making the planting of a tree the one thing you do, you will have made a lasting impact for future generations’.
Dave, privet, Mr. Pitt and friend (Morea?) (-good selection of pots but what's with the windowsill art????)
Thanks to Les for the pics. Though you will need to get better at focusing your camera next time!!
Sunday, 18 November 2007
Friday, 16 November 2007
The 'Statler & Waldorf' * of the bonsai world...
(* ....think Sesame Street)
Great,.... fantastic,....not bad,.....mediocre,....rubbish,.......
(photos so Les doesnt feel picked on!!)
Thursday, 15 November 2007
Last night saw Terry Foster entertain his audience with a review of his Scots pine that first saw the light of day during a demo at the Bukex exhibition in 2006 (sorry no picture!!!! DOH!!!) Following an introduction Terry started by sitting back down (!) and starting a video of the demo, discussing that he had been persuaded by Tony Tickle to delay working on it for a year. (?)
The quickly improvised 'live' running commentary was interspersed with Q&A's detailing and informing on how & when to do 'things' to your pine. Following a break (when Terry was 'walked through' and asked to comment on a variety of Wirral and Blackpool based trees and yamadori brought to the meeting) the video was concluded and further questions were posed and subsequently answered eloquently by both Terry & Ian.
Thanks to Terry for the visit and to be fair, if it wasn't for the 'pesky' loudspeaker failure you might have got'n away with it*!!
* apologies to Scooby Doo fans!
Thanks to Brian for the (candid) photos!-even if we forgot the pine!!!!
Wednesday, 14 November 2007
A little birdy (Les.....*) tells me Terry Fosters talk tonight is on the styling of a Pine from his collection and it will include pictures highlighting its early development. (*....bet you've never been called that before!!!!)
Looking forward to it.
(particularly as I feel like I missed out on the Burrs fun.)
Plus let's give a warm welcome to our friends that will be visiting from 'over the border',...... though pity its not a Friday!!
(Rumour has it that when standing on the walls of Chester on a Friday its still legal to shoot at a Welshman with a bow and arrow!!)
Tuesday, 13 November 2007
Monday, 12 November 2007
Wednesday, 7 November 2007
The weekend features:
Enrico Savini -a rising star in the Italian and European Bonsai Scene, "the quality of his work is breathtaking in one so young"
Hans van Meer-Back by popular demand after his triumph at Burrs November 2006, Hans was one of the headline artists at this years Gingko Awards.
Unfortunately (for me) I can't join you this time (due to 'family' commitments) but I'm sure I can bend someones ear (Les?) to review and capture the essence* of the weekend.
(*lets hope its not too strong a smell !!??!! -probably depends on whether the Parsnip soup is on the menu!!)
The organisers are asking that you please send your entry details to Willowbog Bonsai:
Tuesday, 6 November 2007
Monday, 5 November 2007
Friday, 2 November 2007
This months site -Bonsai Guide Book in Japan, is a quirky one with some interesting sections, such as the ones that cover :
- Japanese Bonsai terminology,
- a comprehensive gallery of antique pots &
- links to other sites including some unusual japanese ones.
http://www.shohin-bonsai.org/exhibition/gafu/gafu-32/su-albums/su_albums.cgi?action=make_html&cat=21&txtnumber=log -interesting if you like displaying shohin!!!
(NB. If your Japanese is good (?!?!) you'll probably get a lot more out of the site as some pages don't appear to translate.)
Thursday, 1 November 2007
-well.... we don't know...... but im sure it will be good!
A cracking twin trunk Hawthorn
an 'abstract' pine
Terry busy at a 'Burrs weekend' (plus some 'hanger on 'trying to get in on the act!)
Why not check out the new Poll?
Society Diary-We meet at 8pm every 2nd Wednesday of the month at the RAFA club in Oxton (CH43 1UU).
- 13th January
- 10th February
- 14th February Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 28th February Workshop - Gordale
- 9th March - Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 13th March Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 27th March Workshop - Gordale
- 13th April - Demonstration - Andy H
- 17th April Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 24th April Workshop - Gordale
- 8th May Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 11th May- Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 29th May Workshop - Gordale
- 4-5th June WBS Flowering Bonsai Show - Port Sunlight GC
- 8th June - WBS Member trees critique
- 12th June Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 26th June Workshop - Gordale
- 10th July Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 13th July- Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 31st July Workshop - Gordale
- 10th August- WBS Show tree selection
- 13-14th August - Wirral Flower Show
- 20th August - Japan Day, Liverpool
- 27-29th August WBS Annual Show - Gordale
- 14th September- Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 11th September Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 25th September Workshop - Gordale
- 9th October Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 12th October- Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 30th October Workshop - Gordale
- 9th November- Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 13th November Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 26-27th November - Potter Workshop with David Jones (Walsall Studio Ceramics)
- 27th November Workshop - Gordale
- 14th December - Club Party