Double click to enlarge
Wednesday, 26 December 2007
Thursday, 20 December 2007
If the tree isn't quite how you want it,..... blame it on a hit and run (toy) driver-particularly with the present icy conditions!!
Wednesday, 19 December 2007
Bring a bottle, tree and fur lined coats.
Thursday, 13 December 2007
...damn....the wrong raffle prize!!
"let's see what you could have won"
Dave receives his TotM trophy.
Ian encourages people to leave at the end of the night by starting the Karaoke.........(nice shoes BTW, are they Vans????)
I'm sure everybody had a very good night- we know the two Tony's did...(Tony -have you found a home for your new pet rock yet?)
Thanks to Brian for the photos-keep up the good work.
*obscure reference to a 90's comedy starring Dennis Waterman -answers on a postcard.
Ian chose this Stewartia; describing it as portraying an elegant, feminine image (despite the comment that it could do with a new pot and some detail work. )
Wednesday, 12 December 2007
Monday, 10 December 2007
Tuesday, 4 December 2007
Quality trees, trick graphics and a quirky sense of humour..........
....what more do you need?
No comments about the size of his shari though.....
Sunday, 2 December 2007
Saturday, 1 December 2007
"Man has been fascinated by stones throughout history. Stones have been collected and have served many purposes, from utilitarian to decorative. Their stability and enduring qualities are associated with longevity and immortality and have captivated us since time immemorial."
Wednesday, 21 November 2007
Do one thing - plant a tree
‘The early summer floods that devastated many parts of the UK were a real wake up call to how vulnerable we are to the elements’, said Pauline Buchanan Black, director-general of The Tree Council. ‘But trees provide an effective flood break and improve water absorption, offering an excellent defence we shouldn’t ignore’.
‘Planting trees is great fun too - even on a wet blustery day, the thrill of going out and getting your hands dirty, something many of us don’t do often enough, is really rewarding when you stand back and see the benefits of your hard work.
Whilst tree planting is a global issue we should not forget how important trees are to our immediate environment. Recent concerns over the ‘chainsaw massacre’ which has seen many urban trees being cut down but not replaced, means that more than ever, we need to take action to replenish our tree stock and truly benefit from trees.
The Tree Council has been working closely with BBC Breathing Places and the campaign to ‘do one thing’ to improve our environmental health. The Autumnwatch programme, in the run up to National Tree Week, will give encouragement to plant trees and is extremely timely, says Pauline. ‘Trees are of enormous importance to us in so many ways. By making the planting of a tree the one thing you do, you will have made a lasting impact for future generations’.
Dave, privet, Mr. Pitt and friend (Morea?) (-good selection of pots but what's with the windowsill art????)
Thanks to Les for the pics. Though you will need to get better at focusing your camera next time!!
Sunday, 18 November 2007
Friday, 16 November 2007
The 'Statler & Waldorf' * of the bonsai world...
(* ....think Sesame Street)
Great,.... fantastic,....not bad,.....mediocre,....rubbish,.......
(photos so Les doesnt feel picked on!!)
Thursday, 15 November 2007
Last night saw Terry Foster entertain his audience with a review of his Scots pine that first saw the light of day during a demo at the Bukex exhibition in 2006 (sorry no picture!!!! DOH!!!) Following an introduction Terry started by sitting back down (!) and starting a video of the demo, discussing that he had been persuaded by Tony Tickle to delay working on it for a year. (?)
The quickly improvised 'live' running commentary was interspersed with Q&A's detailing and informing on how & when to do 'things' to your pine. Following a break (when Terry was 'walked through' and asked to comment on a variety of Wirral and Blackpool based trees and yamadori brought to the meeting) the video was concluded and further questions were posed and subsequently answered eloquently by both Terry & Ian.
Thanks to Terry for the visit and to be fair, if it wasn't for the 'pesky' loudspeaker failure you might have got'n away with it*!!
* apologies to Scooby Doo fans!
Thanks to Brian for the (candid) photos!-even if we forgot the pine!!!!
Wednesday, 14 November 2007
A little birdy (Les.....*) tells me Terry Fosters talk tonight is on the styling of a Pine from his collection and it will include pictures highlighting its early development. (*....bet you've never been called that before!!!!)
Looking forward to it.
(particularly as I feel like I missed out on the Burrs fun.)
Plus let's give a warm welcome to our friends that will be visiting from 'over the border',...... though pity its not a Friday!!
(Rumour has it that when standing on the walls of Chester on a Friday its still legal to shoot at a Welshman with a bow and arrow!!)
Tuesday, 13 November 2007
Monday, 12 November 2007
Society Diary-We meet at 8pm every 2nd Wednesday of the month at the RAFA club in Oxton (CH43 1UU).
- 13th January
- 10th February
- 14th February Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 28th February Workshop - Gordale
- 9th March - Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 13th March Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 27th March Workshop - Gordale
- 13th April - Demonstration - Andy H
- 17th April Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 24th April Workshop - Gordale
- 8th May Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 11th May- Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 29th May Workshop - Gordale
- 4-5th June WBS Flowering Bonsai Show - Port Sunlight GC
- 8th June - WBS Member trees critique
- 12th June Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 26th June Workshop - Gordale
- 10th July Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 13th July- Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 31st July Workshop - Gordale
- 10th August- WBS Show tree selection
- 13-14th August - Wirral Flower Show
- 20th August - Japan Day, Liverpool
- 27-29th August WBS Annual Show - Gordale
- 14th September- Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 11th September Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 25th September Workshop - Gordale
- 9th October Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 12th October- Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 30th October Workshop - Gordale
- 9th November- Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 13th November Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 26-27th November - Potter Workshop with David Jones (Walsall Studio Ceramics)
- 27th November Workshop - Gordale
- 14th December - Club Party