Friday, 12 August 2011
August Meeting -Show prep. -Selection
Wednesday's Meeting was the NIGHT that many were hoping Their Tree would get selected for Our Annual Members Show. I suspect a few members had a little bit of Nerves Hoping that ALL the hard work during the past year and months was going to pay off by having their Tree Selected and to be Judge by Mr Steve Tolley. (plus maybe Three or Four other EUROPEAN and WORLD Renowned and Respected Bonsai Tree Artist's whom are also hopefully visiting our W-B-S Members Annual Show.)
There was a sense of Quietness in the room and it was great to have Chairman IanW back in the the Hot Seat. Iain started the meeting by thanking everyone for their kind gratitude and concern during the past months.
Then it was down to the Serious business of discussion the selection of Bonsai Trees as he pointed out that it was a Surprise (to put it mildly) to see so FEW Bonsai Trees on show for Selection Compared with Last Year 2010.
Reason !!! Well Ian informed everyone that it was up to each and every one of us to make an effort to do their best with their trees and bring them into the Meetings for selections and NOT leave everything to the SHOW Regulars as at times NOT all the these regulars can attend as what seems to have happened on Wednesday as at least over four were unable to attend and be available to show their Trees. I am sure it hurt a few members to hear what the Chairman and echoed by the Vice Chairman Dave Y had to say. BUT if our Society wants to stay in the spotlight or be one of the front runners in Bonsai in the Northwest or even in England WE ALL must do out part (including Yours Truly)
Dave Y then took over and ran through the schedule preparation for our 2 Days of Show set-up and the 2 days of the show itself and also asked members if they would like to participate in the Japan day at Wallasey Central Library on the 20th August
and Bill G plus 1 (could be Sean D) + Billy D + Arthur + Dena and Ron volunteered to go along with their Trees either to show or maybe to work on and answer any question about W-B-S and help to Promote Japan Day in W.C.L
During the evening the selection process was carried out and many owners of the bonsai trees were happy and rewarded for all the hard and careful work that was carried on during the past year. So now even more tension I feel will effect them waiting to see what Guest Judge Mr Steve Tolley will comment on the show, trees and if members ask for a small critique.
At last the 2010 Show Display Book was now at the Society and members were able to purchase them
The Hard work on Trees is now done and only small details will be carried out during the next few days to have their trees up to show standard.
Thursday will see the start of the Set-up of the 2 day display and positioning of the Bonsai Trees supervised by Ian W the followed by the 2 day show itself.
I would like to wish everyone well, from the troops who setup the display to organizers, planners, the members of the Social side of things plus Gordale's Garden Center for allowing us to have our Show at their Wonderful Awarding Winning Premises, to members whose trees have been selected and do our Society Proud.
Once again all that remains for me to say is Take Care Look after each and your Bonsai Trees
Hello and welcome to the Wirral Bonsai Society Blog - an ongoing diary & newsletter highlighting the adventures of the society & its members
Society Diary-We meet at 8pm every 2nd Wednesday of the month at the RAFA club in Oxton (CH43 1UU).
- 13th January
- 10th February
- 14th February Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 28th February Workshop - Gordale
- 9th March - Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 13th March Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 27th March Workshop - Gordale
- 13th April - Demonstration - Andy H
- 17th April Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 24th April Workshop - Gordale
- 8th May Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 11th May- Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 29th May Workshop - Gordale
- 4-5th June WBS Flowering Bonsai Show - Port Sunlight GC
- 8th June - WBS Member trees critique
- 12th June Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 26th June Workshop - Gordale
- 10th July Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 13th July- Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 31st July Workshop - Gordale
- 10th August- WBS Show tree selection
- 13-14th August - Wirral Flower Show
- 20th August - Japan Day, Liverpool
- 27-29th August WBS Annual Show - Gordale
- 14th September- Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 11th September Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 25th September Workshop - Gordale
- 9th October Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 12th October- Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 30th October Workshop - Gordale
- 9th November- Monthly meeting - Topic TBC
- 13th November Workshop - Port Sunlight GC
- 26-27th November - Potter Workshop with David Jones (Walsall Studio Ceramics)
- 27th November Workshop - Gordale
- 14th December - Club Party
New members are always welcome, just come along to one of our monthly meetings at the RAFA club. You can even 'try us out' for a few months before you decide on joining as an official member. The meetings are informal (there's a bar!) and the club members are (mostly) friendly, approachable and happy to pass on guidance and information to anybody interested in bonsai- whatever your level of experience.